*Call for Papers for Special Session(s) at the AAG and IGU/CAG*

*Work, Workers, and Workplaces in an Age of Authoritarian Austerity*

*AAG @ New Orleans, April 10-14, 2018*

*IGU/CAG @ Quebec City, August 6-10, 2018*

Workers and their organizations are increasingly challenged by authoritarian populism and austerity measures in many regions. The power to shape economic policy and landscapes in favor of labour remains a daunting task as increasingly aggressive governments and employers heighten attacks on workers’ rights.  At the same time, the rise of authoritarian populism (some even argue fascism) from within and outside of workers’ movements have created new constellations of power facing working people and resistance.  These sessions will explore these developments and the uneven responses of workers in contemporary and historical perspectives.

*We invite papers addressing (but not limited to) the following topics: *

 * Public sector workers and austerity
 * Solidarities among labour, anti-fascist, and anti-racist groups
 * Labour internationalism in an era of rising nationalism
 * Right-wing unions and new fascist mobilizations
 * Possibilities for labour and left populism
 * Immigrant and indigenous workers organizing against white supremacy
 * Greening work amidst climate change skepticism
 * Labour’s engagement with LGBT and Queer activists and workers
 * Resistance by unemployed and underemployed
 * New workers’ movements and community organizing (e.g., Fight for $15)
 * Basic income as a new compromise
 * New collective bargaining regimes

The annual meeting of the Association of American Geographers is held in New Orleans and the Canadian Association of Geographers is holding its meeting jointly this year with the International Geographical Union Regional Conference in Quebec City. *We do not expect participants to attend both the AAG and the IGU/CAG. *We do, however, hope to appeal to as many scholars as possible attending the conferences.  Our goal is to continue the discussions across the two conferences.

If you are interested in participating in AAG please send abstracts to Michelle Buckley (mbuck...@utsc.utoronto.ca) and/or Suzanne Mills (smi...@mcmaster.ca) by *October 18^th , 2017*.

If you are interested in participating in the IGU/CAG, please contact David Jordhus-Lier (david.jordhus-l...@sosgeo.uio.no) and/or Steven Tufts (tu...@yorku.ca) with an expression of interests.  A second call for papers for the IGU/CAG will follow.