*Call for Papers*
*Financial Geographies of Inequality: Tracing the Circuits, Scales, Sites
and Relations of Financialization*
Global Conference on Economic Geography
Theme: Dynamics in an Unequal World
Date and location: July 24 – 28, 2018, University of Cologne

Emily Rosenman (University of Toronto), Jane Pollard (Newcastle University)
and Jessa Loomis (University of Kentucky)

Economic geographers have made important contributions to theorising the
role of finance and, more specifically, processes of financialization, in
the global trend toward increased economic inequality. Topics central to
recent scholarship on financialization include the global prevalence of
austerity, ongoing attempts to privatize social security, the erosion of
labour standards, and the penetration of financial logics, metrics and
practices into the nooks and crannies of everyday life. Scholars across the
social sciences have also shown how women, the elderly, immigrant
populations and racialized minorities have been disproportionately affected
by the financial crisis.

A decade on from the 2008 financial crisis, this session seeks to explore
the uneven manifestations of finance-led growth and development.  We seek
papers that explore the circuits, scales, sites and relations of
financialization in order to understand how inequality is replicated,
reconfigured or entrenched. Inequality is inherently a relation of
unevenness; in seeking to trace the social and spatial inequalities
produced by financialized capitalism, we invite papers that attempt to
capture the particularities of the variegated nature of financialization.
Following Katz’s (2001) formulation of the countertopographies of
globalization, we encourage papers that draw connections between the places
and processes of financialized capitalism.

We welcome both theoretical and empirically-based papers that address
themes including (but not limited to):

·       Credit/debt relations
·       Spaces where inequality appears and where it is occluded
·       Financial inclusion and exclusion
·       The unequal distribution of wealth
·       Conceptualising finance and inequality: units of analysis and/or
scales at which the relationship between finance and inequality is
understood – individual, couple, household, family, neighborhood, city,
region?
·       Financing social welfare, the built environment or social
reproduction
·       The privatization of profit and the socialization of risk
·       The spatial fix of financial capital
·       The normalization of financial logics- speculation, share-holder,
interest/yield
Please submit your abstract through the conference website before 15 March
2018: https://www.gceg2018.com

For further inquiry feel free to contact Emily Rosenman
(*emily.rosen...@utoronto.ca
<emily.rosen...@utoronto.ca>)*, Jane Pollard (jane.poll...@ncl.ac.uk) or
Jessa Loomis (jessaloo...@gmail.com)

--