(Apologies for x-posts)

A Call from TRIP for Interdisciplinary Research:

Transportation Impacts and Responses to the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Elsevier and the Editors of Transportation Research Interdisciplinary
Perspectives (TRIP) are issuing a special call for papers on the Coronavirus to
be authored, reviewed, and published as quickly as possible in the journal.  As
COVID-19 has rapidly spread from China to other parts of the world, the impacts
on public health, safety and security, transportation and travel and on the
management of critical facilities and services have generated urgent need for
new, novel, relevant, interdisciplinary research.  We will provide a platform
for publishing and distributing new high-quality research to share information
from scientists, researchers, policy-makers, decision-makers and others working
in academia, government, industry and humanitarian assistance organizations.

Open Access fees for relevant, accepted papers on this topic will be waived.
Paper titles should mention  “Coronavirus” or “COVID-19” or “SARS-CoV-2.”

We seek three types of papers.  First, we need short papers describing impacts
and responses including changes in travel behaviors, operations, transportation
policies, and actions to track, monitor, and contain the virus through social
distancing, quarantine, and isolation. What have been the impacts of the
disease on transportation systems?  How have airlines, cruise ships, airports,
transit systems, and others on the front lines responded to this crisis?  How
have communities implemented and managed quarantine and “red zones” to contain
the disease? What lessons and resources need to be shared and where are gaps
and deficiencies in response and recovery from the COVID-19 virus? Second, we
seek longer papers on the temporal and spatial risks, transmission and spread
of the disease through and across transportation networks, modalities, and
systems. We are particularly interested in understanding the role of
transportation assets and operations and the connections between the epidemic
and travel behavior and evaluation of measures to curb the spread of the
disease.  Third, we want research and reporting on vulnerable, at-risk
populations in communities and countries (China, South Korea, Italy, Iran,
etc.) with higher risks of infection and fatality, but also from those with
less capability to track, monitor, and treat infectious diseases and respond to
the Coronavirus.  Is attention to COVID-19 diverting vital transport resources
away from more urgent safety and human security needs?  Are there population
groups or subgroups who can be better supported through innovative services for
medical care, distribution of food, water and necessities, livelihoods, and
socio-economic activities?  What has been the impact of the disease on supply
chains?  Taken together, these three different types of papers help to build
knowledge for actions that will strengthen response and recovery from COVID-19
as well as other hazards and threats to transportation systems and the
communities they support.

We encourage researchers with backgrounds in medicine, public health, emergency
management, engineering, planning, public administration, geography, economics,
business, social sciences, education, and other disciplines using diverse
methods, sources of data, and approaches to contribute to this initiative.
Using TRIP’s powerful features such as article-based publishing (ABP) where
papers are quickly reviewed and published online for worldwide distribution,
available to any reader without charge, indexed in SCOPUS and distributed
through Science Direct and social media, we will disseminate high impact,
relevant research to support transportation resilience.  Editing services for
qualified non-English speaking authors with accepted papers will also be
provided by Elsevier.

Please submit your papers through the TRIP website, which also contains author
guidelines and style requirements for the journal:

https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.journals.elsevier.com%2Ftransportation-research-interdisciplinary-perspectives&data=02%7C01%7Ceconomicgeography-l%40listserv.uconn.edu%7C4f91fb73dc7f4d91982408d7c33c4fe0%7C17f1a87e2a254eaab9df9d439034b080%7C0%7C0%7C637192536111876035&sdata=cb7DLQ3lwovM1T%2F3BrMsktZ%2FFKgD3KknxTsMv44PElI%3D&reserved=0

We ask all editors, editorial board members, reviewers, and others involved
with TRIP to circulate this call for papers, and to submit papers, quickly
review and facilitate the identification of other peer reviewers and
researchers and make suggestions for topics, sharing of data, policies and
developments, and contribute to this effort.

For recent developments on the virus, please consult the World Health
Organization
(https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.who.int%2Femergencies%2Fdiseases%2Fnovel-coronavirus-2019%2Fevents-as-they-happen&data=02%7C01%7Ceconomicgeography-l%40listserv.uconn.edu%7C4f91fb73dc7f4d91982408d7c33c4fe0%7C17f1a87e2a254eaab9df9d439034b080%7C0%7C0%7C637192536111876035&sdata=x0qbyNEt1f7ZWApFFgvLlONn6Tmvx5B3yNWm9uemAcg%3D&reserved=0),
 the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
(https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2F&data=02%7C01%7Ceconomicgeography-l%40listserv.uconn.edu%7C4f91fb73dc7f4d91982408d7c33c4fe0%7C17f1a87e2a254eaab9df9d439034b080%7C0%7C0%7C637192536111876035&sdata=Rst%2FTDybdxBoKY1XZpiel38%2BeFbKGVVsE1y8wbnKcTM%3D&reserved=0)
 and global tracking of COVID-19 by the Johns Hopkins University
(https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.arcgis.com%2Fapps%2Fopsdashboard%2Findex.html%23%2Fbda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6&data=02%7C01%7Ceconomicgeography-l%40listserv.uconn.edu%7C4f91fb73dc7f4d91982408d7c33c4fe0%7C17f1a87e2a254eaab9df9d439034b080%7C0%7C0%7C637192536111876035&sdata=FPCpnJ%2FsznRsFWMKAImJt3UlpAQaJNGvf5vnExBBeLc%3D&reserved=0).

If you have ideas regarding this important initiative, please contact me at
ka...@hawaii.edu<mailto:ka...@hawaii.edu>.

Karl Kim, Editor-in-chief

Transportation Research Interdisciplinary Perspectives