In a message dated 10/18/01 5:46:17 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Can anyone defend hydroponics as it is practiced today?

jeff

Dear Jeff,
    I believe hydroponics can be the answer to alot of food related problems.
I am working on a system called vertical aquaponics, which is a form of
hydroponics. It is a fishfarm covered with a greenhouse. There are no
pesticides involved as that would kill the fish. It could be the cutting edge
way to grow food.
    What is unique about this is the use of 2 liter plastic pop bottles to
hold the plants (all non-root vegetables and herbs), and aligning them in
columns that hang from the top down to the water. This maximizes space.
    This system makes it feasible perhaps for the first time for people to
grow their own organic vegetables, herbs, and fish, because it overcomes the
problems of insufficient space and time.
    A submersible pump pumps the water every hour or so for a minute or so,
using a timer, thru a 1/2" tube that is suspended over the columns of 2 liter
bottles that have been cut off at the end and filled with sphagnum and clay
balls and seeds or seedlings and suspended with the nozzle end down. The
water trickles down thru each bottle until it falls back into the water
containment area where the fish are. The fish excrement supplies  the
nutrients for the plants, the bacteria in the roots of the plants help clean
the water, the action aerates the water. Local water plants that float on
top, like water hyacinth and azolla, both feed the fish and help keep the
water clean.
    There are problems and difficulties that do occur and we are dealing with
them as they arrise. The size can vary from large (say about 22'x7'x22'x7'
with a walkway in the middle and about 7'high and 2'deep, as in my backyard,
which would be good for schools, to a 4'x4'x 6'tall version which could be
done in apartments where there is sun, on balconies, roofs, sidewalks, or
even in a sunny room). The small version could have about 12- 16 columns,
which would translate to about 200-400 plants. The size of the fish would
depend on the size of the water containment. For the small version you would
use only small food to supply the nutrients, not necessarily to eat.
    Once it is setup, all one need do, is monitor and harvest, which takes
very little time.
    I would be happy to answer further questions if there are any, I am not
an expert, just a pioneer. Hopefully we will have more up to date info on my
website soon, www.bagelhole.org which focusses on low-tech, sustainable
methods.
Kind Regards,
Tom Osher