Hi Thufir,

Zachary allready wrote a lot about possible problems with different scopes in jsp, passing the ResultSet this way shouldn't bring up any problem IMHO - as long as the instance is destroyed after the page has rendered (don't know exactly if the reference to a resultset in your instance blocks your database connection as long as the resultset can't get destroyed (but I assume this), so maybe you should consider executing an explicit close() on the resultset). But I didn't understand the first part of your mail:

Thufir schrieb:
I think that the problem with this class is that setColumnNames and setData aren't really setting attributes. I suppose I should make instance attributes like "header" and "data"?

You want to render a table, so you're creating rows for header an data and adding them to the parent table. If you want to alter the table after creation, you could additionally keep the TRs in a list as attributes or something like this.

But in difference to swing (or something like this), you're just generating HTML, sending it to the client and the server part is finished. The client renders the html you created and maybe, there well be a click on a link or a form will be submitted, so you're having a new request, you don't get a gui event like in swing. To simulate this behaviour over http, there are technologies like jsf (or some other frameworks like http://wingsframework.org/ what is some more like swing).

Greetings,

Martin