On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 07:25:31PM +0000, Adam Thompson wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 01:53:51PM -0500, Karl Dahlke wrote:
> > The css portion, that maps css attributes over to objects, takes 2 minutes
> > to run.
> > That's not the infinite loop, but it is intolerable nonetheless.
> > Browse www.stackoverflow.com with db3 and watch 2 minutes go by between
> >
> > execute eb$qs$start
> > execution complete
>
> Wow, yeah... that's not good.
>
> > The version we got was built to run and handle all situations, and be
> > robust, but obviously not optimized.
> > Optimizing things is something I'm good at, but it's a lot of code doing
> > something I'm not entirely familiar with, so I would be taking a big bite.
> > Could it be optimized and still be javascript? Is it primarily an
> > algorithmic inefficiency?
> > Or would it have to be rewritten in C?
> > I hope the former, because turning all that into C would be a pain!
> > There's no real reason to mess with the css parser, that runs once and
> > pretty fast,
> > but querySelectorAll compares every css directive against every node in the
> > document, which is potentially an n^2 problem.
>
> Yeah, that sounds like an algorithm problem, I'll take a look and see if
> there's anything obvious.
> May be there's some way to ignore certain directives, I'm not entirely sure
> yet.
>
> Thanks for looking at this.

Ok, just had a quick look through the code, and my js is... not great...
but I wonder if we could (may be lazily when we first traverse looking for
selectors) hash element references based on selectors.  That *should* save
traversals in subsequent calls to querySelectorAll.
That being said, I'm not entirely sure I can understand how that code does its
job so I may be missing something important there.

Cheers,
Adam.