Hi,

No worry, I agree this isn't easy.
We/you've been working hard to make more sites work so I don't want to
break these either, let's take the time needed to research first.

Adding to that that I'm a little bit paranoid and like to disable as
much as I can get with, but we'll need to come up with a decent
interface to display what's blocked and set exceptions...
I think that'll be the most tricky part here!

Karl Dahlke wrote on Mon, Mar 12, 2018:
> 1. frames

I'm honestly not sure there.
As the website serving the frame you can say you don't want to be
displayed, so that protects the remote point's resources but I think we
really need to check if/how dynamic frames would work and what kind of
other limits there can be.

> 2. The same guy that writes the js, and the html, also sends out the http
> headers,
> so if he wants xhr to access anything then he just sets that http header to 0
> and off he goes.
> It's like we put a lock on our browser for some kind of security,
> but they can open it with an http key, and everybody knows it.

I think the main purpose of this is to protect a website from code
injection.
Say you're a forum or some blog with a comment area. The fields the
users can fill are supposed to be sanitized, but often enough someone
comes up with a way to insert actual html code/js and could hijack the
user's sessions or whatever it is they want to do.

http headers are usually set by the web server directly without regards
for the content, so no matter how much the site is defaced if the site
says don't load external stuff then it won't load them.

The disabled mode must have been added for compatibility.
Ultimately, if some site depends on it by design and they haven't taken
the time to say code.jquery.com is allowed then they can just set 0 and
things will keep working even if they don't protect themselves.

> 3. If we implement restrictions, we have to do it all,
> including the http key that unlocks them, because some website might unlock
> them
> and expect xhr to work on some other domain, and when it doesn't, then
> the website doesn't work.

Definitely agreed there, both headers I pointed at have a disabled mode
and it should be easy to implement as it is what we currently do -
basically we just have to make the checks conditional.

> 4. bar.com -> foo.bar.com

That's likely true, need to check as well.

--
Dominique | Asmadeus