At 04:18 PM 9/27/2004, Thomas Behr wrote:
>I wish I was mistaken - maybe it is a GIS thing and not an X12 thing, but 
>on our outbound documents the release character of "?" is inserted in the 
>data stream before the :, which for one TP is the subelement 
>separator.  Not sure which translator they are using, but they don't have 
>a problem processing our 810.
>
>The release character is causing a problem with some of our inbound 
>FAs.  One TP (which will remain nameless) is sending a non-printing char 
>as the seg terminator and refuses to change it.  When I pull off the VAN 
>via FTP it shows in my data as a "?" which is causing problems...  I have 
>do execute a UNIX tr script to change it to something I can process.  It 
>does not use the "?" as the segment terminator because it is expecting "?" 
>as the release character.

This does not make sense. The character before the subelement separator in 
the ISA is the usage indicator, which in 4010 can only be an "I", "P" or 
"T" (Information, Production or Test). If you are indeed putting a ? in 
ISA15, perhaps your trading partners are simply ignoring it.

It would be real interesting to see an example of ISA your translator 
builds with the ? in it.

Your translator should be able to handle the FAs with the non-printing 
character. Non-printing characters are perfectly legal, and in fact 
encouraged, because they don't show up in data.

--
Tom Brandt
Northtech Systems, Inc.
130 S. 1st Street, Suite 220
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1343
http://www.northtech.com/



------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/OIFolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

.  
Please use the following Message Identifiers as your subject prefix: <SALES>, <JOBS>, 
<LIST>, <TECH>, <MISC>, <EVENT>, <OFF-TOPIC>
Access the list online at:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L
 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to