> >It must be simply that with the Internet (said in a breathy sort of > expulsion) > >we now can do it so much more quickly. And cheaply. > > You got it. Is that not enough?
Actually, there are different flavors of 'quick' and 'cheap.' My 'quick' is that I like to have one point of control. Other people may have other definitions of 'quick.' 'Cheap' goes the same way. Money is of course always an issue, but sometimes convenience enters the picture as well. As far as Sterling running the show completely, well, if I were running things here they might. :) I'm not, and that's sort of why I included the disclaimer; there are my opinions and not my employers'. :) > I think the worst thing about AS2 is the fraud committed by the industry. > Here we have an open standard, anyone can sit down and write an AS2 client after reading a few RFCs, but here comes the Drummond Group > to take tens of thousands of dollars from us just to say "ok" > you can use what you built. That pushes > everyone to buy a per trading partner AS2 client for thousands. Same > scenario with UCCnet. You could do it yourself with a few months work, > and have more control over the outcome- but they have to "certify" that > your system will work for tens of thousands before you can use it. BS. I can appreciate what they're trying to accomplish, but true, their model leaves something to be desired... :) > >And don't even get me started again on how wonderful (snort) XML is. > >When Chris said "cluttering up the supply chain" he was right. I > >still remain unconvinced; > > What do you mean by wonderful? I hope you don't think > positional format is better than XML? Apples and oranges. You're comparing a layout type to a specific markup language. No, perhaps positional format is NOT better than XML -- I think it remains to be seen. What I look at with half-lidded eyes is the assertions that XML will solve all of our business problems. Thankfully, there's a lot less of this 'silver bullet weenieism' today than in years past, but remember; if the only tool you have is a hammer, every job looks like a nail. XML isn't necessarily the answer to all of our ills. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] . Please use the following Message Identifiers as your subject prefix: <SALES>, <JOBS>, <LIST>, <TECH>, <MISC>, <EVENT>, <OFF-TOPIC> Access the list online at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/ <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
