Our company is small, our IT group is my boss and myself.  
 
When I process inbound EDI orders there are times when the customer doesn't 
send the correct UPC code (I know your thinking that is hard to believe).  I 
print the raw data and consult with Customer Service on which item the customer 
is ordering.  The customer service person will tell me what item they are 
ordering and I will change the item number in our application files and process 
the order into our system.  I send an email with the raw data attached to the 
customer service person to advise the customer to correct it in their system 
prior to ASN's and Invoices being sent.  
 
Some times the customer will cancel the incorrect PO and resubmit the correct 
UPC on a new PO but the majority of the time the customer changes their system 
and the PO isn't cancelled.  The raw data in my EDI translator is unchanged, we 
have documentation with customer approval for the change, the orders are 
processed and shipped without rejection.
 
I feel I am not compromising the raw data, but I am also not delaying the 
processing of orders by waiting for the customer to retransmit.  Some customers 
won't retransmit.  
 
I don't know if this would work for a larger company, but it works well for us. 
 
 
We are a seasonal manufacturer of food gift items. We are only in production 6 
months of the year so I only receive EDI orders from August to November.  
Leaves alot of time to do other projects.   I used to work at an international 
company but now enjoying the personal touch and multiple hats of life at a 
smaller company.  I am not a "number" anymore.  haha
 
Denise
 
 

-----Original Message-----
From: John [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2006 7:44 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [EDI-L] Re: Letting Customer Service Modify Data - SAP or EDI? - 
Opinions Please



Only two persons are allowed to change EDI The customer or the EDI
administrator with the customers written approval. The CSRs I work
with are constantly making simple mistakes everyday that I have to
correct for them. There is no way I would want them to have the
ability to change the EDI data, that would be like having the monkeys
run the zoo. In our system we have EDI orders which come in for
quantities that are not consistent with the norm. Our system allows
(with a managers password) for over or under fulfillment of an order.
I think I will put this up on the wall in our IT EDI office.

" But as far as the EDI group is concerned, we have the EDI
Hippocratic Oath:
"First, change no data.""

I love it.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
John A. Grimm
MIS/EDI
JIT Services



 



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



...
Please use the following Message Identifiers as your subject prefix: <SALES>, 
<JOBS>, <LIST>, <TECH>, <MISC>, <EVENT>, <OFF-TOPIC>

Job postings are welcome, but for job postings or requests for work: <JOBS> IS 
REQUIRED in the subject line as a prefix. 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to