1/30/07

If using a database output and I want to have Mercator insert  a column of 
"n" spaces.... well, I have had problems doing that.

Specifically, running under Windows, using iSeries ODBC adapter (makes 
AS/400 datasets look like an ODBC data source).

The way the 'tables' are defined on the AS/400 is that all columns are 
"required" and if I send a column which is "NONE" (which is pad yes, max 
length, literal, value <SP>, any context) or which 'happens to have a value 
of all spaces", the Mercator system translates that into NONE and when it 
does the INSERT it sends SQL_NULL_DATA to the ODBC driver, which then of 
course violates the 'required' table constraint.

All columns are 'required' because the physical storage underlying the 
iSeries ODBC datasource is just a sequential file... e.g., if you have name 
size 20, address size 20, zipcode size five, the physical file consists of 
records whuch are 45 bytes in length (20+20+5)... but the iSeries adapter 
lets you SELECT or UPDATE any one field as a discrete 'column' just fine.

Any ideas how I should define my column data in my type tree to have 
Mercator actually attempt to insert a string of spaces?  Or, is there 
something I can do in the map to allow this to happen?   No problem for me 
to make up a special tree... this would be a 'one time job' with many-many 
times re-use and potentially terrific productivity improvements for the 
user.

Or should I give up on trying to do this as an "output" defined in the card 
and maybe try to do this using DBQUERY or PUT instead?

Yes, I probably can get the user to create an updatable VIEW for each table 
defined as "record data, character, size <length of record>"... I'm pretty 
sure that would work but I'd like to see if perhaps I have missed something 
a lot more straightforward before we embark on that path.

FWIW, this is Mercator 5x otherwise running as well as it ever did. (Which 
is pretty decently)

Thanks,
Michael C. Mattias
Tal Systems Inc.
Racine WI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]



...
Please use the following Message Identifiers as your subject prefix: <SALES>, 
<JOBS>, <LIST>, <TECH>, <MISC>, <EVENT>, <OFF-TOPIC>

Job postings are welcome, but for job postings or requests for work: <JOBS> IS 
REQUIRED in the subject line as a prefix. 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to