Agree with Andrew.

Tim
-----Original Message-----
From: edk2-devel [mailto:edk2-devel-boun...@lists.01.org] On Behalf Of Andrew
Fish
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 1:22 PM
To: Jordan Justen <jordan.l.jus...@intel.com>
Cc: Paolo Bonzini <pbonz...@redhat.com>; edk2-devel@lists.01.org; Laszlo Ersek
<ler...@redhat.com>; Tim Lewis <tim.le...@insyde.com>; Gao, Liming
<liming....@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [edk2] BaseTools features: multiple workspaces

> On Aug 5, 2015, at 12:16 PM, Jordan Justen <jordan.l.jus...@intel.com> wrote:
>
> On 2015-08-05 07:06:46, Gao, Liming wrote:
>> Tim gave another idea to define multiple source locations in Platform
>> DSC file. It doesn't conflict with this proposal. We can implement
>> $(WORKSPACE_MULTIPLE) feature first, and evaluate DSC update. On the
>> fixed tree layout, these two solutions can work. Once the end user
>> reorganizes its tree layout, he needs to set
>> $(WORKSPACE_MULTIPLE) env or update Platform DSC file, and build
>> platform DSC.
>
> At one point Mike suggested updating target.txt to be able to add
> paths.
>
> I think this might be better than hard coding them into the dsc
> (source code) files.
>
> Tim, any thoughts on this?

I’m not Tim, but PLEASE NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

We don’t want “one tree per product”, we want multiple products per tree.
target.txt is really helpful if you want to save typing on the command line,
but that is about it.

Now I have seen some vendors that do sill stuff like write a script that
patches target.txt and then calls build.exe. I say silly as the script could
have just passed the arguments build.exe directly, as target.txt is just the
default value for the args of the build command.

Thanks,

Andrew Fish