Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Ard Biesheuvel had to
walk into mine at 10:22:59 on Monday 24 August 2015 and say:

> On 24 August 2015 at 19:20, Bill Paul <wp...@windriver.com> wrote:
> > Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Ard Biesheuvel
> > had to
> >
> > walk into mine at 10:06:10 on Monday 24 August 2015 and say:

> [...]
> >>
> >> Meh. The primary audience of this feature are people building UEFI for
> >> X64 on X64, in which case the GCC4x options are arguably simpler. But
> >> apparently we agree that we should keep it /and/ support it.

> >> I proposed some updates here
> >> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.bios.edk2.devel/1297
> >> (with you on cc). Care to ack those?
> >
> > Is there a particular reason why you chose to use binutils from
> > www.kernel.org rather than from ftpmirror.gnu.org (other than "that's
> > what it was doing before")?
>
> Nope, that was it :-)
>
> In fact, I vaguely remember noticing the kernel.org URL and thinking
> "hmm that's odd" but for some reason, it did not provoke any action on
> my part

My attention was drawn to it before because the specific version the script
was looking for previously ceased to exist on www.kernel.org, which broke the
script.

> > In my testing I used binutins 2.25 from gnu.org, and it worked ok. I
> > thought it made more sense to get both packages from the same place.
> >
> >     source_files_common = {
> >
> >         'binutils': {
> >
> >             'url': 'http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/binutils/' + \
> >
> >                    'binutils-$version.tar.bz2',
> >
> >             'version': '2.25',
> >             'md5': 'd9f3303f802a5b6b0bb73a335ab89d66',
> >             },
> >
> >         }
>
> Yes, 2.25 would be even better. In fact, it might make sense to wait
> for 2.26 to appear, since it adds support for --gc-sections (see the
> other part of this thread) which brings performance of mingw in line
> with ELF based GCC regarding code size.

Fair enough, as long as we don't have to wait too long. In any case, aside
from this, the changes look ok to me.

-Bill