Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Shubha Ramani had to
walk into mine at 15:45:52 on Saturday 26 September 2015 and say:

> Yes it's a bug but...
> OK I'm a dumb-ass. What I'm asking for with 0xCF8/0xCFC doesn't make sense.
> I just learned the basics of this 0xCF8/0xCFC stuff. 1) Output the I/O
> Configuration ADDRESS to I/O port 0xCF8 using a 32-bit write command
> ("point")2) Use a byte, word, or dword command to to access DATA from I/O
> port 0xCFC-CFF ("shoot") The Configuration Address is obtained by step 1).
> A signal is asserted to the device being accessed. I don't think the PCI
> spec has changed in ages so these are still 32-bit commands.   Shubha D.
> ramanishubharam...@gmail.com shubharam...@yahoo.com

Earlier I asked you for some information about your hardware and you insisted
you weren't allowed to say anything about it. You need to loosen up on this
just a little bit, because otherwise there's really no way we can help you.

There is just one question that I would like answering which I don't think
will result in the release of incredibly important proprietary info, and that
is: is the target system you're using an off-the-shelf machine, yes or no?

The reason I ask is that like I said earlier, if there's more than one PCI
segment on your system, the ACPI tables should say so, and I would expect the
UEFI firmware to figure it out since it relies on ACPI for system information
just like everyone else. Sometimes though, the ACPI tables are wrong. I've got
an Intel production motherboard with a Pentium4 processor on it (D915GEV, or
something like that), that quite clearly has a COM1 serial port on it, but the
ACPI device table doesn't list it. That said, you are more likely to see such
errors in prototype hardware as opposed to production hardware, especially for
something like this, because if it's broken on a production board then not
even Windows will work correctly on it.

So, if this is a prototype board rather than an off-the-shelf production
board, then the problem might be that it has a bogus ACPI device table. It
might also have a faulty pre-release UEFI firmware build on it too. If that's
the case, you should be talking to whoever made the prototype board and
confirming that they got the ACPI tables right rather than making the blanket
statement that "there's a bug in UEFI."

There may come a point in the investigation of a fault where you get to say
"if there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the
universe." I don't think you've reached that point yet.

You could try temporarily booting FreeBSD or Linux on this hardware so that
you can dump and inspect the ACPI device table and confirm that there's more
than one PCI roots. (There may be an EFI utility for doing that too, but I
don't know offhand. I usually just use FreeBSD's acpidump tool.)

-Bill