On 2015-10-29 04:45:37, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> On 10/29/15 02:32, Jordan Justen wrote:
> > +    ASSERT (MaxProcessors > 0);
> > +    PcdSet32 (PcdCpuMaxLogicalProcessorNumber, MaxProcessors);
>
> I think that when this branch is active, then
> PcdCpuApInitTimeOutInMicroSeconds should *also* be set, namely to
> MAX_UINT32 (~71 minutes, the closest we can get to "infinity"). When
> this hint is available from QEMU, then we should practically disable the
> timeout option in CpuDxe's AP counting.

I think this is a good idea, but I don't think 71 minutes is useful.
Perhaps 30 seconds? This seems more than adequate for hundreds of
processors to startup. Or perhaps some timeout based on the number of
processors?

Janusz and I were discussing
https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/issues/21 on irc. We increased the
timeout to 10 seconds, and with only 8 processors it was still timing
out.

Obviously we are somehow failing to start the processors correctly, or
QEMU/KVM is doing something wrong.

Have you been able to reproduce this issue? It seems like we need to
set the timeout to 71 minutes, and then debug QEMU/KVM to see what
state the APs are in...

Unfortunately I haven't yet been able to reproduce the bug on my
system. :(

-Jordan