On 11/04/15 09:48, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 03/11/2015 22:00, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
>> +
>> +!if $(SMM_REQUIRE) == TRUE
>> +  LocalApicLib|UefiCpuPkg/Library/BaseXApicX2ApicLib/BaseXApicX2ApicLib.inf
>> +!else
>>    LocalApicLib|UefiCpuPkg/Library/BaseXApicLib/BaseXApicLib.inf
>> +!endif
>> +
>
> Can we enable BaseXApicX2ApicLib unconditionally?

I think I am technically capable of that :), but should we? We haven't
used BaseXApicX2ApicLib thus far in OVMF, so I can't predict at all if
it could regress stuff or not. If it causes problems with the
SMM_REQUIRE build, so be it, that's new stuff, but I wanted to avoid
such a global change for the traditional build.

I'm not against it, I just don't have experience with BaseXApicX2ApicLib.

Mike, Jeff, Jordan -- what do you think? Why do separate BaseXApicLib
and BaseXApicX2ApicLib instances exist? And why has OvmfPkg always used
the former? If it has only been for simplicity's sake, and
BaseXApicX2ApicLib is otherwise widely used internally at Intel, then I
think Paolo is right, and we should just keep the OVMF DSCs simple.

Thanks