On 19 May 2016 at 14:35, Paolo Bonzini <pbonz...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 18/05/2016 01:57, Kinney, Michael D wrote:
>>   Core
>>     CorebootModulePkg
>>     CorebootPayloadPkg
>
> I think that anything with a .fdf file should be under Platform.
> CorebootPayloadPkg is the only outlier in your proposal.
>
>>     Emulated
>>       DuetPkg
>>       EmulatorPkg
>>       Nt32Pkg
>>       OvmfPkg
>
> I think OvmfPkg is not emulated; certainly not in the same sense as
> EmulatorPkg, Nt32 or UnixPkg.  DuetPkg also seems more similar to
> OvmfPkg than to EmulatorPkg (and definitely most similar to
> CorebootPayloadPkg, which should be under Platform according to the rule
> I proposed above).
>
> In addition, I think that separation by architecture is more useful than
> separation by vendor.  This yields the following:
>
> Platform
>   Arm
>     ArmPlatformPkg
>     ArmVirtPkg
>     BeagleBoardPkg
>   Emulated
>     EmulatorPkg
>     Nt32Pkg
>     UnixPkg
>   IA32X64
>     CorebootPayloadPkg
>     DuetPkg
>     Intel
>       QuarkPlatformPkg
>       Vlv2TbltDevicePkg
>     OvmfPkg
>
> IA32X64 is not a great name, but neither is Intel.  X86 suggests 32-bit
> only.

I prefer the idea of separating by vendor.  One vendor may have
multiple architectures, for example.

But I'm also not keen on the "Vendor" sub-dir itself, it seems redundant:

  Platform/Vendor/ARM
vs
  Platform/ARM

OK, so the emulated platforms don't have a "vendor" as such, but
"Emulated" could be as good a name as any.