On 12/02/16 12:27, Leif Lindholm wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 11:38:42AM -0800, Jordan Justen wrote:
>> For the future, I'd recommend adding Cc's for package owners to the
>> associated patch commit message.
>
> I guess what you're actually asking for is to have only the parts of
> series I want your review on sent to you?
>
> That's a fair point, but having Cc: tags of package maintainers in the
> commit log is just noise.

Strongly disagree, I fully *want* the commit log to capture the fact
that I CC'd X, Y and Z, and if the committed patch doesn't have feedback
tags from them, that's not my fault.

Independently, technically speaking, there's also no other way for
assigning different sets of CC's to different patches in a series, to my
knowledge. There are hacks around it (for example, you can mail out each
patch individually, setting the CC's per mailing, or else edit the CC
headers (not commit message tags) in the formatted patch email), but
none of those stick around when you rebase the work for v2 or v3, and
format and send out the series again.

> And we are indeed seeing a lot of those at
> the moment.
>
> This seems like an excellent time to bring back the idea of unifying
> the */Contributions.txt and codifying some of this behaviour
> better. (None of them mention Cc: - and they are in fact all
> bit-identical.)

Well, my personal guide mentions Cc:

https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/Laszlo's-unkempt-git-guide-for-edk2-contributors-and-maintainers#contrib-18

Thanks