On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 12:53:45PM +0100, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> On 12/02/16 12:27, Leif Lindholm wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 11:38:42AM -0800, Jordan Justen wrote:
> >> For the future, I'd recommend adding Cc's for package owners to the
> >> associated patch commit message.
> >
> > I guess what you're actually asking for is to have only the parts of
> > series I want your review on sent to you?
> >
> > That's a fair point, but having Cc: tags of package maintainers in the
> > commit log is just noise.
>
> Strongly disagree, I fully *want* the commit log to capture the fact
> that I CC'd X, Y and Z, and if the committed patch doesn't have feedback
> tags from them, that's not my fault.

And if it did capture that, I would agree - but it doesn't.
It's in-band text which may or may not have had any effect on the
transmission of email - depending on client version, configuration and
developer workflow.

Nevertheless, this is exactly the discussion I wanted on a different
thread than this as stated below.

> Independently, technically speaking, there's also no other way for
> assigning different sets of CC's to different patches in a series, to my
> knowledge. There are hacks around it (for example, you can mail out each
> patch individually, setting the CC's per mailing, or else edit the CC
> headers (not commit message tags) in the formatted patch email), but
> none of those stick around when you rebase the work for v2 or v3, and
> format and send out the series again.
>
> > And we are indeed seeing a lot of those at
> > the moment.
> >
> > This seems like an excellent time to bring back the idea of unifying
> > the */Contributions.txt and codifying some of this behaviour
> > better. (None of them mention Cc: - and they are in fact all
> > bit-identical.)
>
> Well, my personal guide mentions Cc:
>
> https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/Laszlo's-unkempt-git-guide-for-edk2-contributors-and-maintainers#contrib-18

And that's an extremely useful resource, but entirely
unofficial. Let's change that.

Regards,

Leif