On 2017-02-21 11:08:24, Rebecca Cran wrote:
> On 2/21/2017 12:02 PM, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
>
> > But in this case, the full edk2 codebase has to be grepped for
> > VA_LIST-taking functions, and all of them must be flipped to EFIAPI, if
> > they currently aren't EFIAPI. Covering just XenStoreVSPrint() seems
> > incomplete. (Note: CryptoPkg/Library/OpensslLib is an exception.)
>
> I think this was discussed previously but I can't remember: is there a
> reason for not just compiling everything with -mabi=ms ?

Originally GCC didn't support -mabi=ms. Once it gained support, it
then produced larger executables. Nowadays (and for quite some time),
I think it generally results in smaller executables.

A benefit of not using -mabi=ms is that we are able to catch some
cases of misused EFIAPI with a compiler warning, or unfortunately in
some cases with crashes or misbehaving code.

I think the benefit of helping keep EFIAPI clean means that we should
continue to not use -mabi=ms for DEBUG builds. But, I think it would
be good to get the size advantages of -mabi=ms by enabling it for
RELEASE builds.

-Jordan