> On Aug 11, 2017, at 6:00 AM, Rafael Machado
> <rafaelrodrigues.mach...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone
>
> I have a question that probably some guys here can help.
> The scenario I have, is that I need to create a OS image that must be able
> to boot at a UEFI system (with no csm module), and at a legacy bios system.
> My fist thought is that this is not possible.

Rafael,

We designed EFI to co-exist with legacy BIOS  so you could make media that
boots both ways. I think it is useful to step back and think about how booting
works.
1) EFI loads a relocatable PE/COFF image that is a file (pointed to by an NVRAM
variable, or in a known path for removable media) on a FAT32 file system
(Usually the EFI System Partition).
2) For a legacy hard disk boot the the BIOS loads the 1st 0x200 (512) bytes of
the disk (MBR) into 0x7C00 and jumps to it in real mode. The MBR code usually
plays a similar trick and loads 1st 0x200 bytes of the boot partition into
memory and jump to it, this is usually the start of the file system on the disk
partition.

The 0x200 byte limit in MBR in combination with the 4 partition limit ended up
with a lot of creative "grabbing of space" which worked great util different
code broke each other. This grabbing "unused space" and the size limits is why
we ended up adding GPT to the EFI spec as a next generation partitioning
scheme.

I think your problem is more about can you put a BIOS boot loader and a EFI
Boot loader on the same disk and have them boot the same kernel. Seems like
most of what the OS loader needs to do is a solved problem, it is just making
everything coexist you have to figure out.

Thanks,

Andrew Fish