Thanks Vladimir,
With your design, you did delayed write to eMMC due to sharing with OS.  But it
works for you:)
Say if eMMC controllers offers you a status bit, if eMMC storage is being used
for not. Then this
could be possible to update at run time, both OS/UEFI needs to check and wait
if controller is being used.
For sure,  some synchronization issues need to be ironed out (or maybe I am
just dreaming here).

On part 2) where you forked VariableRuntime driver , could we think of updating
VariableRuntime driver,
to support non-XIP or memory mapped devices.

Thanks
Udit