Hi Ray,

I ran into an interesting problem, while working on
"OvmfPkg/PciHotPlugInitDxe":

It is an assertion failure in CalculateResourceAperture(), in
"MdeModulePkg/Bus/Pci/PciBusDxe/PciResourceSupport.c":

> VOID
> CalculateResourceAperture (
>   IN PCI_RESOURCE_NODE    *Bridge
>   )
> {
>   UINT64            Aperture;
>   LIST_ENTRY        *CurrentLink;
>   PCI_RESOURCE_NODE *Node;
>   UINT64            PaddingAperture;
>   UINT64            Offset;
>
>   Aperture        = 0;
>   PaddingAperture = 0;
>
>   if (Bridge == NULL) {
>     return ;
>   }
>
>   if (Bridge->ResType == PciBarTypeIo16) {
>
>     CalculateApertureIo16 (Bridge);
>     return ;
>   }
>
>   //
>   // Assume the bridge is aligned
>   //
>   for ( CurrentLink = GetFirstNode (&Bridge->ChildList)
>       ; !IsNull (&Bridge->ChildList, CurrentLink)
>       ; CurrentLink = GetNextNode (&Bridge->ChildList, CurrentLink)
>       ) {
>
>     Node = RESOURCE_NODE_FROM_LINK (CurrentLink);
>     if (Node->ResourceUsage == PciResUsagePadding) {
>       ASSERT (PaddingAperture == 0);
>       PaddingAperture = Node->Length;
>       continue;
>     }

The ASSERT() was added in commit c7e7613e09ff ("MdeModulePkg: Fix a
PciBusDxe hot plug bug", 2015-11-03), which makes the argument that:

    Correct behavior is to reserve the bigger one between the padding
    resource and the actual occupied resource.

While I totally agree with that statement, I don't think the ASSERT() is
correct. The ASSERT() assumes that every resource tree  -- Mem32Node,
PMem32Node, Mem64Node, PMem64Node, IoNode -- will contain at most one
padding.

I think this assumption can be broken easily; the DegradeResource()
function merges resource trees for a number of reasons. For example,

- if the Hot Plug Init Protocol requests, for a bridge,

  - both 2MB non-prefetchable 32-bit MMIO reservation

  - and 2MB prefetchable 32-bit MMIO reservation,

- and the root bridge reported EFI_PCI_HOST_BRIDGE_COMBINE_MEM_PMEM,

then DegradeResource() will merge the PMem32 padding as well into the
Mem32 tree (not just BARs of devices behind the bridge), while the Mem32
tree already has a Mem32 padding. Thus the Mem32 tree will end up with
two paddings.

Other degradations are possible too, which can lead to the same
situation:

- For example 64-bit -> 32-bit degradation.

- Or we can imagine a recursive situation where we have two bridges
  down-stream from an upstream bridge, the first downstream bridge wants
  a PMem32 padding, while the second downstream bridge wants a Mem32
  padding. On the level of the upstream bridge, I believe these two
  paddings will be merged into the same resource tree (in case of
  EFI_PCI_HOST_BRIDGE_COMBINE_MEM_PMEM).

My question is if the problem is easy enough for me to fix:

(a) Should I replace the ASSERT() and the assignment with summation?

  PaddingAperture += Node->Length;

(b) Should I replace them with a MAX() search?

  PaddingAperture = MAX (PaddingAperture, Node->Length);

(c) Is the fix more complicated than (a) and (b)?

I think the correct solution is (b), in the spirit of your commit
c7e7613e09ff, but I'm not sure if any other parts of PciBusDxe need to
be updated for (b).

Thanks!