On 21/11/17 18:10, Udit Kumar wrote:
Thanks Ard,
For internal SOC devices, this is perfectly ok to drop PRP0001 from CID.

This could be a valid reason to use PRP0001 + compatible, for things like I2C
slaves that are external to the SoC

For external devices (for which HID is not available), you suggest to go
with PRP0001 + compatible or that device driver needs add ACPI HID support.

I don't think internal or external to the SoC would be any kind of deciding factor in how to best to bind, simply because I don't understand why there is no HID available.

Large OEMs and board manufacturers usually have their own vendor IDs and sometimes have to use these to describe hardware (IIRC the SMC LAN9xxx on the ARM Juno uses an ARM HID).

Admittedly the part you are describing follows a JEDEC standard so it would be nice to have more widely agreed bindings... however making SPI NOR FLASH available as raw MTD device to the OS is sufficiently unusual in ACPI systems that there may not be any prior art to follow.

Daniel.

As you pointed out, are external devices to SOC such exception to use PRP0001 +
compatible be it
i2c slave or SPI slave ?

Regards
Udit