Evan,

This is a good question.

Another staging repo is possible, but may not be required.

You could add the platform content to edk2-staging and get
everything working using that content.  When edk2-staging
is ready for truck, you need to create the patches for
the edk2 and edk2-platforms repos for review and commit.
I think you can use filter-branch to extract the patch
sets for each repo.

Mike