Hi All,

I'm trying to develop a tool for automated BIOS flashing from the EFI shell using IPMI serial over lan to drive it.  To accomplish this, my plan is to use a network booted EFI shell with a tftp client and a ramdisk to download the flash tools and ROM into as a workspace and then run the flash commands from that ram disk.

I've been able to successfully build and boot an efi shell from the edk 2 sources including the tftp client.  I've also been able to separately build the RamDiskDxe driver from the MdeModulePkg. Loading the RamDiskDxe.efi driver file results in a successful message, but I do not get any usable ram disk made available to me?

How do I get a usable drive letter/name (ie blk0: or any other name) from the RamDiskDxe driver?

Once I've done that, will it be possible to include the RamDiskDxe driver as part of the network bootable efi shell image?  I assume I'll need to modify the .dsc file for the ShellPkg to include the MdeModulePkg pieces.

If anyone has any other suggestions for this, I'm open to ideas. The only way I've been successful in network booting EFI shell is using just that file directly.  I tried creating a dos filesystem image with the efi shell file in it just like would work with a USB key, but that would not boot over the network stack. If there is some way of creating a network bootable EFI shell filesystem image (similar to how Linux can network boot a separate vmlinuz kernel and initrd image)?

Are there any docs that I've missed (I've tried looking in the user docs and on the wiki) regarding setting up RamDiskDxe?

Thanks!
Rick Warner