On 2018.02.23 11:55, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
* PATCH 4 enables the selection of ARM64 in the conf templates.
   One item of note is that the build options for ARM64 are the same as
   for ARM, except for /BASE:0 which was removed to avoid error:
   'invalid base address 0x0; ARM64 image cannot have base address below 4GB'

This series looks fine to me, with the exception of the error
mentioned here, which seems strange to me. It does appear to be a
toolchain issue rather than anything else, so if you can build working
binaries with these patches, it's all fine by me.

Thanks Ard.

The thing about /BASE:0 producing a LNK1355 error above is that it only seems to occur with applications (you will see it if you try to build the Shell or MdeModulePkg\Application\HelloWorld for instance) and not drivers.

I too suspect that this may have to do with the public-facing VS2017/ARM64 toolchain being brand new, since it was only introduced with the last major VS update, and maybe still needing some ironing out when it comes to the generation of non Windows applications.

So far I have not seen any ill effects from the removal of /BASE:0.

Once this series has been integrated (so that it's easier for the VS dev team to test), I'll try to report this issue to https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com, to find out what they have to say about it.

Regards,

/Pete