On 28 February 2018 at 08:15, Michael Zimmermann
<sigmaepsilo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I agree. Did you run into any issues due to this?
> Surprisingly no. I was just trying to understand the fastboot implementation
> before I use it on my platform
> and was surprised that this works at all. I can imagine that's because this
> is supposed to load linux's efistub which probably doesn't do anything but
> calling SetVirtualMemoryMap and ExitBootServices.

The ARM/Linux EFI stub does quite a bit more than that, actually. It
uses the various memory allocation and protocol handling services, to
carve out an allocation for the kernel, initrd and device tree, and to
access the command line, the EFI_RNG_PROTOCOL (if available) and to
interrogate the protocol database for GOP instances.

> I can imagine that more complex loaders like the one used for Windows
> wouldn't work this way.

No, and this is indeed something that should be fixed. Any clue as to how?