On 03/02/18 02:16, Brijesh Singh wrote:

> On 3/1/18 6:03 PM, Laszlo Ersek wrote:

>> I also tried to test the series with SEV guests (again with Brijesh's v2
>> 2/2 patch applied on top). Unfortunately, I didn't get good results with
>> or without SMM. Without SMM, the guest OS boots to a point, but then it
>> gets stuck with the CPU spinning. With SMM, OVMF gets stuck in SMBASE
>> relocation.
>
> To boot the SEV guest with SMM support we need this KVM patch, without
> this we will get either #UD or some undefined behavior.
>
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/virt/kvm/kvm.git/commit/?id=7607b7174405aec7441ff6c970833c463114040a

Looks like a very recent commit. What tree (and at what commit) do you
recommend that I build a new host kernel?

> It's strange that you are having trouble booting SEV guest without SMM
> support. It's possible that we might have some mismatch kernel kvm +
> qemu + ovmf patches.

Wait, the details matter: I wrote "the guest OS boots to a point". There
are no problems with the firmware, or the initial OS boot progress. The
issue happens fairly later (but certainly before I reach a login prompt
or similar). Maybe this is nothing new relative to last November; I
don't remember.

>> Until then, Brijesh, can you please test this series? Thank you!
>

> Sure, I will try the series tomorrow morning. thank you so much for the
> cleanup and remaining SMM work.

Thanks!

Do you have (maybe updated) instructions for setting up the SEV host?
What are the latest bits that are expected to work together?

Thanks!
Laszlo