On 05/28/2018 03:36 PM, Bill Paul wrote:
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Ni, Ruiyu had to walk
into mine at 19:55 on Sunday 27 May 2018 and say:

No. There is no such instance.

My understanding:
Segment is just to separate the PCI devices to different groups.
Each group of devices use the continuous BUS/IO/MMIO resource.
Each group has a BASE PCIE address that can be used to access PCIE
configuration in MMIO way.

This makes it sound like an either/or design choice that a hardware designer
can make simply for some kind of convenience, and I don't think that's the
case.

Segments typically indicate completely separate host/PCI interfaces. For
example, I've seen older Intel boards with both 32-bit/33MHz slots and 64-
bit/66MHz slots. This was not done with a bridge: each set of slots was tied
to a completely separate host PCI bridge and hence each was a separate
segment. This was required in order to support legacy 32-bit/33MHz devices
without forcing the 64-bit/66MHz devices down to 33MHz as well.

With PCIe, on platforms other than Intel, each root complex would also be a
separate segment. Each root complex would have its own bus/dev/func namespace,
its own configuration space access method, and its own portion of the physical
address space into which to map BARs. This means that you could have two or
more different devices with the same bus/dev/func identifier tuple, meaning
they are not unique on a platform-wide basis.

At the hardware level, PCIe may be implemented similarly on Intel too, but
they hide some of the details from you. The major difference is that even in
cases where you may have multiple PCIe channels, they all share the same
bus/dev/func namespace so that you can pretend the bus/dev/func tuples are
unique platform-wide. The case where you would need to advertise multiple
segments arises where there's some technical roadblock that prevents
implementing this illusion of a single namespace in a completely transparent
way.

In the case of the 32-bit/64-bit hybrid design I mentioned above, scanning the
bus starting from bus0/dev0/func0 would only allow you to automatically
discover the 32-bit devices because there was no bridge between the 32-bit and
64-bit spaces. The hardware allows you to issue configuration accesses to both
spaces using the same 0xcf8/0xcfc registers, but in order to autodiscover the
64-bit devices, you needed know ahead of time to also scan starting at
bus1/dev0/func0. But the only way to know to do that was to check the
advertised segments in the ACPI device table and honor their starting bus
numbers.

FWIW, the scalable X64 machines from SGI/HPE implement multiple segments, generally one per socket. That's the only way for us to represent a machine of the size we're interested in. There are multiple config space ranges which aren't necessarily located at contiguous addresses, only one of which (on the legacy socket) is accessible via the legacy 0xcf8/0xcfc mechanism. So you need to parse the ACPI tables to discover all the I/O.

We really wish all code used segments properly... we have had to convert a lot of 3rd party code to use PciSegmentLib rather than the old PciLib. Thankfully OSes are in pretty good shape these days (was not always the case in the past.)

So with the above understanding, even a platform which has single segment
can be implemented as a multiple segments platform.

I would speculate this might only be true on Intel. :) Intel is the only
platform that creates the illusion of a single bus/dev/func namespace for
multiple PCI "hoses," and it only does that for backward compatibility
purposes (i.e. to make Windows happy). Without that gimmick, each segment
would be a separate tree rooted at bus0/dev0/func0, and there wouldn't be much
point to doing that if you only had a single root complex.

-Bill
Thanks/Ray