On 06/20/18 20:03, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> On 20 June 2018 at 19:48, Evan Lloyd <evan.ll...@arm.com> wrote:
>> Hi Ard, Leif.
>> I've noticed a number of comments like Ard's recent "We don't permit
>> initialized automatic variables.",
>> and similar changes have been made to Sami's AcpiView.  Note: I'm not
>> objecting to doing it the way maintainers prefer, which is why this is not a
>> response.
>>
>> My understanding was that the CCS was changed some time back to remove the
>> restriction on initializing variables (and I further think I remember Leif
>> being a prime mover in that).
>
> I don't remember, to be honest. But I think it is a stupid rule, and
> so if we haven't already, I hope we can get rid of it.
>
> IIRC, this limitation had something to do with a particularly nice
> exhibit in the Tianocore toolchain museum that generated bigger
> binaries for initialized automatic variables (as compared to
> assignments performed separately). But let's not get into the
> toolchain situation, shall we?

One special case of initialization is when the variable in question has
structure type. For such initialization the compiler may generate calls
to internal helper functions (memset and friends), and then the module
fails to link. I've seen this myself earlier, although I can't tell
whether on gcc-4.4 or gcc-4.8.