Jaben,

The shell does not parse properly (my opinion) in some instances.
That is one of the reasons I wrote a separate parser for the shell I
maintain here at Dell.

One of the areas I feel the parsing is wrong is when an unescaped "#"
is inside a quoted string:

  FS0:\> echo "This should # work."
  Command Error Status: Invalid Parameter
  FS0:\> echo "This should ^# work."
  This should # work.
  FS0:\>

The first command is parsed as if this were the command line:

  FS0:\> echo "This should
  Command Error Status: Invalid Parameter
  FS0:\>

I think many people would expect certain characters inside a quoted
string, like "#" for example, to NOT need escaping.  The only ones
that should need escaping (again IMHO) are: ", ^, and %.

Regards,
Jim