Hi Laszlo,

Managed to spot this before I sent my own reply :)

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 12:11:51PM +0100, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> [...]
> > this splitting direction makes sense.
> > Is there any other better ways of splitting?
> > Or perhaps do not split in such a small granularity?
> > Or perhaps Mike's work to move lib-c content to edk2-libc repo,
> > to move real platform code to edk2-platform repo is enough for
> > now?
> >
> > ==============More explanations =================
> >
> > ####There are 9 packages inside Core/ directory:
> > 1. BasePkg
> > Contains industry standard definitions (exclude UEFI and PI) and base
> > libraries that non-UEFI and non-PI development can depend on.
> > UEFI or PI development can also depend on this package.
> > 2. UefiPkg
> > Contains UEFI interfaces and libraries that UEFI driver-model driver
> > development can depend on.
> > 3. PiPeiPkg
> > Contains PI interfaces and libraries for PEI phase that PEI module
> > development can depend on.
> > 4. PiDxePkg
> > Contains PI interfaces and libraries for DXE phase that DXE module
> > development can depend on.
> > 5. PiMmPkg
> > Contains PI interfaces and libraries for MM phase that MM/SMM
> > module development can depend on.
> > 6. MdeModulePkg (TianoPkg? Name is still TBD)
> > Contains Tiano implementation specific interfaces and libraries.
> > Developing modules for pure UEFI or PI should not depend on this package.
> > 7. PeiFoundationPkg
> > Contains the PEI foundation modules (PeiCore and DxeIpl) and supported
> > libraries.
> > 8. DxeFoundationPkg
> > Contains the DXE foundation modules (DxeCore and RuntimeDxe) and
> > supported libraries.
> > 9. SmmFoundationPkg
> > Contains the SMM foundation modules (SmmCore, SmmIpl and
> > SmmCommunicationBuffer) and supported libraries.
> >
> > These packages are positioned in different layers. The package in higher
> > layer depends on all packages that are in lower layers.
> > Layer 0: BasePkg.
> > Layer 1: UefiPkg.
> > Layer 2: PiPeiPkg
> > Layer 3: PiDxePkg
> > Layer 4: PiMmPkg
> > Layer 5: MdeModulePkg (TianoPkg?)
> >
> > ####All other modules are put to small packages under Device/ or Feature/.
> >
> > ============== Benefit of this proposal =================
> >
> > This helps to reduce the size of each package, especially the very BIG
> > MdeModulePkg which contains almost all edk2 modules (except
> > CPU, network, etc). So platform can use git sparse checkout feature
> > to only clone the needed code still in package granularity.
> > This also helps to separate the code maintenance to more expert
> > developers. MdeModulePkg is just too huge to be maintained by 2 or 3
> > developers.
>
> from a first / quick skim, it sounds OK to me; however, I'd like to
> explicitly defer on this to the other stewards & stakeholders. I
> remember that Leif had ideas about reorganizing the tree.

Heh. Mainly that it needs reorganising :)
Although I may have brought up Mike's long-term plans to reorganise on
several occasions.

> (Also, I vaguely feel that the movement/renaming of some macros /
> definitions that Andrew and Mike have been discussing in thread
>
>   [edk2] History question about Base.h and its alternate parallel name
>          space.... Should we change it?

Oh, I've been lax at following the list since I came back off
holiday. This looks like a good thread to get stuck into.

> might overlap with this reorg.)
>
> Regarding the benefits, I agree that we need clearer / finer grained
> assignments between modules / packages and maintainers. I'm unsure if
> that really requires reorganizing the tree (we could just reorganize
> Maintainers.txt instead -- add some pathname patterns), but I agree that
> reorganizing the tree is one method that could work.

I would like both.
This split won't resolve the issue of defining separate maintainers
for */ARM* and */AARCH64* (and RISCV, ...).

But a proper tree rework would help newcomers. Figuring out what goes
where is non-trivial effort, and the archaic names don't help with this.

> Regarding sparse git checkout -- I'm probably missing details of this
> git feature itself (regardless of subject project), but I'm generally
> indifferent / unexcited about this. On my disk, a clean QEMU tree is
> twice as large as edk2, and a clean Linux tree is more than thrice as
> large. Also, it's been years since I decided it was impossible for me to
> work without a good SSD (i.e. that traditional spindle disks would be
> way too slow.) So, if the reorg helps some developers with handling the
> tree locally, I don't mind, but personally I don't consider the reorg a
> benefit for that.

Yeah, I'm with you.
Although I guess the issue is more to do with poor network connections
than slow checkouts. (Because yes, edk2 is tiny :)

> Again, I'd like to leave the specifics to Leif, Mike, and others. I hope
> that's acceptable.

No problem.

/
    Leif