On 2019/2/21 17:11, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 at 10:04, Laszlo Ersek <ler...@redhat.com> wrote:

On 02/20/19 13:23, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 06:53, Jagadeesh Ujja <jagadeesh.u...@arm.com> wrote:

hi Ard,
On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 6:55 PM Ard Biesheuvel
<ard.biesheu...@linaro.org> wrote:

Hello Jagadeesh,

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 at 11:47, Jagadeesh Ujja <jagadeesh.u...@arm.com> wrote:

In preparation for providing a standalone MM based non-secure variable
runtime driver, factor out some portions that are specific to the
traditional driver, mainly related to locating variable arch protocol
and variable write arch protocol, which are not required to be located
when using standalone MM based secure variable implementation.

While i think this change is correct from a technical perspective, I
don't think this is the right approach.

these changes are mandatory, this is one of the possible solution.

It was a deliberate decision to expose the MM services in a way that
only the producer of the communication protocol is aware of the
implementation details, i.e., whether it is backed by tradtional MM or
standalone MM.

can you please provide more details on how "exposing the MM services"
will help to resolve the issue here. if this helps, definitely i will use that.

Let me rephrase this for the benefit of the MdeModulePkg maintainers,
and ask them their opinion.

Currently, the DXE runtime driver that produces the architectural
varstore protocols that are based on communication with MM components
living elsewhere, rely on the EFI protocol database for sequencing.
I.e., after dispatch, they wait for certain protocols to be installed
into the DXE protocol database by the SMM drivers before proceeding to
install the variable arch protocols.

This does not work for standalone MM, since it has no access to the
DXE protocol database, nor is it needed, since it may be assumed that
the MM execution context is fully configured by the time the DXE phase
starts.

Jagadeesh's proposal is to factor this out, and create two different
.INFs to build the same DXE runtime driver in two different ways. This
defeats the purpose of having an abstract MM communication protocol,
so it is something I would like to avoid. On the other hand, is it not
obvious how to parameterize this requirement in another way.

For the moment, I could live with putting this into a library, and
leave it up to the platform to ensure the combination of the library
resolution with the driver that produces the MM communicate protocol
is a sane one.

Any thoughts?

I think I'm missing the gist of the library approach; still, would it be
possible for affected platforms (i.e. those that depend on standalone
MM) to procude the necessary DXE protocols (for unblocking the variable
runtime driver) in a platform DXE driver?

Yes, that is the other option: we could create a library that
unconditionally produces those protocols and hook it into the MM
communication driver via NULL library class resolution.

I am not familiar with standalone MM, either ARM. So may have no much valuable opinion.

For this case, standalone MM could not install DXE protocols into DXE protocol database to notify the wrapper (VariableSmmRuntimeDxe), so need another way to install the DXE protocols, right? Could standalone MM assume the MM handler for variable is ready when MM communication driver runs? If yes, a NULL library instance should work (as a stub to install the DXE protocols in its constructor). :)

Thanks,
Star