On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 7:50 AM, Brian J. Johnson <bjohn...@sgi.com> wrote:
> On 06/03/2015 04:50 AM, Gao, Liming wrote:
>> Hi, all
>>
>>    Now, EDKII project Git mirror is ready in GitHub (https://
>> <https://github.com/tianocore>github.com/tianocore
>> <https://github.com/tianocore>). There are EDKII project Repo and each
>> package Repo. After migrate EDKII from SVN to GitHub, EDKII Git Repo
>> will be writable, EDKII SVN project will become mirror. I expect to keep
>> write access in the centralized Git repo. But, EDKII project Repo (edk2)
>> and MdePkg Repo (edk2-MdePkg) includes the same source code. So, only
>> one of them will be writable. My proposal is to make Package Repo be
>> Read & Write, and update EDKII project to link each package by submodule
>> way. The benefit of this way is:
>>
>> 1.EDKII project is too big. After separate them, the developers can just
>> pull their used packages instead of full.
>>
>> 2.The different packages have the different owners. After separate them,
>> the package owner can give write access for the different developers.
>>
>> 3.Close source project can refer to EDKII packages. Those project can be
>> easily setup by git submodule.
>>
>> Compared to EDKII project Repo, submodule EDKII project Repo just
>> includes edksetup.bat, and edksetup.sh. Some BKM of submodule is shared
>> here.
>>
>> 1.Every Git operation is took for Package Repo. Pull, Branch, Commit,
>> Create Patch, Fork, and Pull Request are all for Package Repo. If your
>> patch changes multiple packages, you need to commit and create patch per
>> Package.
>>
>> 2.git submodule foreach “command” can be used to run command on every
>> package, for example git submodule foreach "git pull"
>>

> I fully agree with others' reluctance to use git submodules, and the
> reasons they have expressed:  git submodules are a major pain for
> developers, and the concerns Liming listed above can be addressed in
> other ways.
>
> When my internal team first transitioned to git, we set up a complex
> submodule-like system to (theoretically) allow easily updating common
> code among different projects.  That only lasted a month or two:  having
> to manage multiple repositories for day-to-day work, and the lack of a
> single commit history spanning the entire tree doomed that scheme.
>
> I collapsed everything together into a single repo using some git
> filter-branch magic, and we've been happy ever since.
>
> Please, no submodules....

Agreed, please no submodules.   I eagerly went to the github page, and
was shocked to see 3 pages
of submodules.  I have to work with some projects that use submodules, and they
are a huge pain.  They technically "work", but should be a last resort
(ie composing a
larger project from existing, separately developed projects that are
already managed
in git.)

EDK2 should be a single git repository.  I very strongly think the
submodule plan is a very bad idea.

Thanks,
Roy