In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Donald Burrill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Paul R Swank wrote:

>> I prefer the ocular test myself.

>Were you referring to the intraocular traumatic test?
>(It strikes you between the eyes.)

The only use of alpha-level testing I have seen which
I consider reasonable is of this kind; it is by a
mathematical psychologist.  He formulates a model, and
collects data until it is rejected at the .05 level.
Then he uses the ocular test to decide if it is a
reasonable approximation.  The significance test is
there so that a few accidentally close observations
does not lead to too quick acceptance.
--
This address is for information only.  I do not claim that these views
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Phone: (765)494-6054   FAX: (765)494-0558