If there is a better venue for this question, please advise me.

I am looking for methods to analyze categorical data similar to that
shown below. If the results were quantitative, I believe that an
analysis of covariance would be appropriate. However, with
categorical data and relatively small samples, I am at a loss. Any
help would be appreciated.

The purpose of the experiment was to discover whether or not two
groups of infectious organisms differ in there ability to infect a
host over time. The two genetically different groups of infectious
organisms (G1 and G2) are each subdivided into three subgroups based
on smaller genetic differences. They are G1-S1, G1-S2, G1-S3, G2-S4,
G2-S5, and G2-S6. The hosts must be sacrificed to discover which ones
are infected. This results in counts of infected and non-infected
hosts. (A critical biological point is that an infected host can
become uninfected with time.) For each subgroup an unequal number of
hosts are sampled at each of 4 time points such that the results look
something like this for one type of host organism.

         Time point 1    Time point 2    Time point 3    Time point 4  Hosts
         Inf  Not-Inf    Inf  Not-Inf    Inf  Not-Inf    Inf  Not-Inf  Tested

G1-S1    1      14       11      4       11     1       13     2       57
G1-S2    7       8       12      3       14     2       15     8       69
G1-S3    1      24        6     18        8    15        9    15       95

G2-S4    3      12       12      4       10     4       14     2       61
G2-S5    5      10        5      6        8     7       11    14       57
G2-S6    2      26       12     12       11    16       14    12      105

The questions are how can group 1 (G1) be compare to group 2 (G2) and
how can subgroups be compared. I maintain that the heterogeneity
within each group does not prevent pooling of the subgroup data
within each group, because the groupings were made a priori based on
genetic similarity.
--
R. Mark Sharp, Ph.D.                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Southwest Regional Primate Center                     Tel: 210-258-9476