"Robert J. MacG. Dawson" burbled:

>         No, the King in Gilbert (and Sulivan's) "Utopia Unlimited". Or possibly
> the "Grand Duke"?

        After a moment's thought, I realize it was neither. It's from the other
G&S I've never actually seen performed (if you discount their very
obscure first effort, which I can't even remember the name of right now,
which bombed, and of which only a fragmentary script remains)

        My final answer, in which I'm fairly confident: the King in "Princess
Ida".

                -Robert Dawson