In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Ed Bailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>By way of introduction --

>       I teach Elementary Statistics at a Two-year college. (MS -
>Statisics, PhD - Math Education).

>Question --
>       On page 489 of "Elementary Statistics" by Triola (7th), there is a
>sidebar article on " Student Ratings of Teachers".  However, it does not
>give any information on the studies used for the claim that student
>evaluations have a negative correlation with amount of material learned.
>If you happen to know the article refered to or any related studies,
>please let me know.
>               Thank You -- Ed Bailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

There were several articles I recall in _Science_, including
a specific article on that subject, as well as articles by
others in the period immediately after that.

The specific article I recall was by Rodin and Rodin.  I
believe the issue was September, 1972 (I am reasonably
sure about September, less so about the year), concerning
teaching assistants in Calculus.  What was correlated
was the performance of the class and the class rating of
the instructor; performance in the preceding quarters was
used as a predictor variable, but made little difference.

One of my colleagues asked for the data, and received it,
but has lost it.  My recollection on looking at it is that
there is no way the data can be used to come up with other
criteria which would support the hypothesis that there is
a positive relation between the average of the ratings of
the students and class performance.

--
This address is for information only.  I do not claim that these views
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Phone: (765)494-6054   FAX: (765)494-0558