On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Joe Ward wrote, in response to part of my reply to
Mike Wogan:

MW> If there is a pre-post measurement of self-confidence, then you need a
MW> mixed model Anova, with Training vs. No Training as the between groups
MW> factor and Pre-Post as the within groups factor.
  >
DB> This sure must sound scary to someone who's having trouble with
DB> the first semester of an elementary stats course!

> --------------  Joe Ward writes ------
> Hi Don, et al --
>
> While it seems that the question is stimulated from a student's
> assignment, it seems to me that  students should be given the "power
> they deserve" to do something useful when they complete their course
> of instruction.

        No argument with that.  Not clear that the student in question
_had_ been given that power, though;  & seemed pretty clear that s/he
hadn't taken up any such power!

> You indicated that--
>
> "This sure must sound scary to someone who's having trouble with
>  the first semester of an elementary stats course!"
> IT SHOULD NOT BE SCARY.
> If students can't "control for the uncontrollable" such as "PRE-TEST", or
> GENDER, etc. then they are not being given what they deserve in
> A NON-CALCULUS ELEMENTARY STATS COURSE.

        I couldn't agree more.  But I'd be tempted to wager that for a
student whose mind was blank (as I recall the original post) on a
question related to a simple t test, Mike's "mixed model Anova, with
Training vs. No Training as the between groups factor and Pre-Post as the
within groups factor" must be _terra_omnino_incognita_.  And, therefore,
scary.

> I realize that I am an "outlier" in what I believe to be a lack of
> SALESMANSHIP about the power that statistics can give students --
> before they are "turned off".

Mmm.  Mayhap.  But as someone else recently observed in another context,
only in the rare event (= outlier) will the mother-lode be found.

> But talented high school students can do it -- so why not college
> students?
                Wasn't clear to me that that WAS a college student.
May have been, of course;  but there was no unambiguous evidence on the
point -- at least, not that I remember.

> But I get more cynical in my old age!

Now, now, Joe:  Curmudgeonly is not the same as cynical!
                                                        -- Don.
 Donald F. Burrill                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 348 Hyde Hall, Plymouth State College,          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 MSC #29, Plymouth, NH 03264                                 603-535-2597
 184 Nashua Road, Bedford, NH 03110                          603-471-7128