Is the sum still a better measure of the "trait" than any individual item?

It is not clear what inferences can be drawn from the sum of the four items.
Reliability is the prerequisite of validity.

Whose face validity shall be relied on, given face validity is determined by
the eyes of the beholder?

Statistical conclusions rely on quality of psychometric properties:
reliability and validity.  However, quality of psychometric properties
cannot be substantiated by significant statistical results in this case.

 Peter Chen
 Industrial/Organizational Psychologist and Researcher
 Liberty Mutual Research Center
 71 Frankland Road, Hopkinton, MA  01748  USA
 Tel. (508) 435-9061 x301      Fax. (508) 435-8136
 E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Web:  http://www.libertymutual.com/research