Date: Wed, 26 APR 2000 22:05:01 -0400
From: Zubin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Yes, I believe your methodology will work.  However, you should sample a
> window of data rather than a single data point when you calculate your
> re-sampling statistics.  I am not sure on the window size, though.

1. Based on the 1 sec 1/e decorrelation time , or on another
   characteristic time, T,  based on thresholding the autocorrelation at
   another level, combine the values in the window (t-T/2,t+T/2) to create
   a value associated with the random draw that picked sample x(t).

2. Treat this value as if it were a random draw of independent measurements?

If this is what you meant I don't think that defeats the correlation
problem if the draws are performed with replacement. If the draws are
performed without replacement, wouldn't you need to exclude the whole
window of length T? ... I don't think that would yield many values before
you ran out of allowable windows.

To defeat that problem maybe I should just subsample uniformly at, say one
pulse every T seconds to obtain M ~ 20*T samples with N ~ 26/T independent
measurements per sample. Then perform M tests. For T ~ 2 sec (i.e., 2
decorrelation times), I get M ~ 40 tests with ~ 13 measurements per test. I
then get M ~ 40 test probabilities to average.

For the purposes of argument, let's say the procedure in the above
paragraph is acceptable. Then would a resampling based on randomly picking
one measurement from each of the 13 windows be better? That way I would
get  ~ 40^13 possible combinations instead of 40.

Is the last paragraph what you were suggesting?

Thanks,

Greg

Gregory E. Heath     [EMAIL PROTECTED]      The views expressed here are
M.I.T. Lincoln Lab   (781) 981-2815        not necessarily shared by
Lexington, MA        (781) 981-0908(FAX)   M.I.T./LL or its sponsors
02420-9185, USA