Hello, I "inherited" the reporting system for our escapes and have some
questions about how data has been reported in the past.

First, I have a question about the formula used to calculate escape rates
which is (escapes)/(average daily population - escapes).  Then this is
reported as a rate per 100 inmates.  Isn't this actually a ratio of escapees
to non-escapees.  Maybe I'm just picking at semantics, let me know.  I
thought that the formula for rates was (a/(a+b)) * k where the numerator is
included in the denominator.

Then I also have a rule of thumb question.  At what point is a rate
considered unreliable or a useless piece of information?  My example again
and remember that it uses the "formula" I first presented above.  The
previous reports show rates of .44 per 100 or .08 per 100, etc.  Of course I
find this comical because I imagine that .44 means an escapee with only a
torso, legs and head and .08 as an escapee with only the torso!  But, many
folks around here take those numbers to indicate that the escape "rate" has
decreased substantially!  I have seen CDC tables with a caveat regarding
small rates and will pull those as evidence for my argument.

So here's a real life problem for my colleagues out there.  I am going
through all the statistics books in my office and have started to search for
references to present my case.  I'm not kidding because I was told that this
is the way it has always been calculated so don't mess with tradition.  If
anyone has any references, suggestions, openings for positions, cites to
search, etc. I would really appreciate it.  Many thanks in advance, Fran

Fran Ferrari, Researcher
Data Analysis & Statistics
Oklahoma Dept. of Corrections
50 NW 23rd Street