It's hard to tell just what you have in mind.  For one thing, it is not
clear that "bias" is well-defined in the situation you describe, nor
whether you are using the term in a technical or a colloquial sense.
The responses I have seen have addressed some possible meanings you may
have intended.

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Terry Chan wrote:

> I have numbers (arranged in a 2x2 contingency table -
> smokers/nonsmokers, respiratory disease/no disease) for our study
> population (of about 1,000).  I also have numbers (arranged the same
> way) for the general U.S. population (from the U.S. Office of Smoking
> and Health).  Is there a statistical test that allows me to compare
> both populations (i.e. a test that compares the chi-square value from
> each population)?

I will read "i.e." to mean "e.g.", and agree with Rich Ulrich that you
almost certainly do not want to make the comparison suggested in
parentheses.
        A possible intention is to ask whether the distribution of the
four subgroups (smokers with disease, smokers without, nonsmokers with,
nonsmokers without) in you study population departs noticeably from the
distribution of those subgroups in the U.S. population at large.  If this
is what you meant (or at any rate one of the things you meant), you can
¶Îf§Äl5º7Bá~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~·óçQ,ÍqIy¼8[ûDèÏ·æ
> Is there a statistical test that assesses if our study population is biased
> (compared to the U.S. population) and if it is biased, associates some type
> of value to this bias?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thank.

> Instructions for joining and leaving this list and remarks about
> the problem of INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES are available at
>                   http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

 Donald F. Burrill                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 348 Hyde Hall, Plymouth State College,          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 MSC #29, Plymouth, NH 03264                                 603-535-2597
 184 Nashua Road, Bedford, NH 03110                          603-471-7128