I'm not really an econometrician, despite the department I work in. But
having observed the guys who are - econometrics is concerned with the
estimation and validation of economic models. So the emphasis is very
much on regression methods (including multi-equation methods) and on
time series.

Rich Ulrich wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:47:46 -0000, "Jennifer Howser"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > What are the differences between Statistics and Econometric?
> >

> > Thanks
>
> "Statistics" could be the general term than includes a number of
> narrower specialties.  The specialties are apt to publish in different
> journals, and often use different vocabularies for describing common
> tests -- the basic sorts of data that they refer back to are apt to
> differ.
>
> One broad area is biostatistics.  I don't know if "biometrics" is a
> proper subset, or if it overlaps.  The tag "-metrics" has been added
> to quite a few terms, as in cliometrics (study of history with an
> emphasis on validating by quantification, such as, the logistics of
> feeding a city or hosting an army -- if it wasn't logically possible,
> then it probably did not happen with that many people).
>
> Most of Economics is concerned with numerical relations; I am not sure
> how "econometrics" fits as its sub-set.
>
> Economics has enormously long time-series (daily, if you want), of
> related variables.  By its name, "econometrics" should be especially
> concerned with issues of "measurement."   I guess that means that you
> leave out the political side of economics, unless you can measure it.
>
> I would be interested in seeing other descriptions or definitions.
> Does an encyclopedia of statistics include definitions?
>
> --
> Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html

> Instructions for joining and leaving this list and remarks about
> the problem of INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES are available at
>                   http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

Alan McLean ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics
Monash University, Caulfield Campus, Melbourne
Tel:  +61 03 9903 2102    Fax: +61 03 9903 2007