dennis roberts wrote:

> thus ... when we spend all this time on debating the usefulness or lack of
> usefulness of a p value ... whether it be the .05 level or ANY other ... we
> are totally ignoring the fact that this p value that is reported ... could
> have been the result of many factors having NOTHING to do with sampling
> error ... and nothing to do with the treatments ...

>From my class notes....

100% of all disasters are failures of design, not analysis.
-- Ron Marks, Toronto, August 16, 1994

To propose that poor design can be corrected by subtle analysis
techniques is contrary to good scientific thinking.
-- Stuart Pocock (Controlled Clinical Trials, p 58) regarding the
use of retrospective adjustment for trials with historical controls.

Issues of design always trump issues of analysis.
-- GE Dallal, 1999, explaining why it would be wasted effort to
focus on the analysis of data from a study under challenge whose
design was fatally flawed.

Bias dominates variability.
-- John C. Bailler, III, Indianapolis, August 14, 2000