On Wed, 25 Oct 2000 16:08:12 -0400, I wrote, asking,

> Do you really have *three*  that are the old way?  (Names/Dates?)
> I have not seen a survey of dictionaries, but the (few) ones that I
> have used in recent years have been consistent, the times I have
> noticed, in using a pre-syllable accent mark.

What I found on-line, starting from one-dictionary: 7 references that
seem to be non-duplicative:

  in BOLD - 1.
      -Wordsmyth English Dictionary
  mark after the syllable - 2.
      -Information Please
      -dictionary.com
  mark before the syllable - 4.
      -Cambridge dictionaries online
      -Merriam Websters WWW -
      -Newbury House
      -yourdictionary.com

The linguistics text, "Course in Phonetics" by Ladefoged, 1993, also
uses the mark before the syllable.  This is a reference I happened to
be looking in, earlier this week.

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html