On Thu, 26 Oct 2000 20:42:02 +0200, Damion Milne
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I would like to add some biographical information on Winsor to my slides
> on the winsorisation technique, which deals with outliers in a
> distribution.
>
> Winsorisation is described in Afifi and Azen 1979, by Academic Press
>
> Please send me some info on Winsor the man. Thanks

("Could anyone suggest references for me ...?"  would be a gentler way
to request assistance....)   It is George P. Winsor.  He drove an
ambulance in WW I.

http://libweb.princeton.edu:2003/libraries/firestone/rbsc/finding_aids/mathoral/pmc41.htm

 - has an interview with John Tukey concerning the statistics
department and activities at Princeton.

I did a www.google.com  search on     Winsor statistics  history
and got a few relevant hits, including the above, and mostly including
Tukey.

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html