In article <94de4e$2h8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Elliot Cramer  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Werner Wittmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: inverting the
>: correlation matrix to get the effects was too complicated to compute by
>: hand,so Sir Ronald developed the ANOVA shortcut.

>hardly.  They do have some mathematics in common (through use of dummy
>variables which some of us think is for dummies).  they are comceptually
>completely different/  Unfortunately many people misuse ANOVA because they
>think of it as regression analysis.

It IS a PART of regression analysis, under special conditions
which provide orthogonality, and thus enable many statistical
mantras to be used improperly.  How many texts point out that
the tests for the two main effects in a two-way ANOVA are not
independent, even given that interaction is exactly zero?

>Later Jack Cohen showed in
>: his seminal paper " Multiple regression as a general data analytic system"
>: that using the general linear model does the job.
>Actually Yates showed it in 1933 and many of us used dummy variables long
>before Cohen

>: I'm always teasing my colleagues and students, if you spent one year
>: learning ANOVA and one year multiple regression you've wasted almost one
>: year of your life.

>you can learn the mathematics of regression analysis in 10 minutes but
>you're still a long way from understanding either it or ANOVA

Make it about an hour, if taught mathematically.  If one wants
to understand the computational aspects, a few more hours.
Unless one gets into the assumptions, this is it.

--
This address is for information only.  I do not claim that these views
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Phone: (765)494-6054   FAX: (765)494-0558