On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Magenta wrote in part:

  (responding to Rich Ulrich's remark:)
> > Michelle, I hope that  you now know that you got  tangled up in
> > hypothetical illustrations which you now regret.
>
> Sure do, I think that if you redid it so that the scale was now:
>
> don't agree                                    strongly agree
>          |_______________________________________|
>
> that would give you a ratio scale between no agreement and strong
> agreement.

Well, in SOME circumstances, perhaps it might;  but I don't see a
persuasive rationale for "it WOULD give you a ratio scale" [emphasis,
obviously, added].

> You would then be able to use, e.g. ANOVA, on your test results, which
would be numeric in millimeters.

Or other units of length -- sixteenth-inches, micro-furlongs, etc.
But really, you don't need a ratio scale for ANOVA, you know.
At most you need an interval scale, and even then "approximately"
(that is, approximately interval) works very well much of the time.

 Donald F. Burrill                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 184 Nashua Road, Bedford, NH 03110                          603-471-7128